Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Time to Practice Plein Air



Since most of us going on this trip do not paint outside on a regular basis, I think  it is a good idea to practice this week as if you are painting in France to make sure you are comfortable with all of your supplies. This way you can  see what works and what doesn't and see what supplies you might need. This will give you have time to shop or order in line.

This morning I went just outside of my front door to do just that and here is what I learned.  Hopefully it will be of help to you.

I liked having a few canvases pinned to a cork board so I could work on several paintings at once and not overwork one.

I pinned a paper towel to the board so that I could wipe off extra paint there and free my hands from holding a paper towel. I was holding a wooden palette.

I am definitely going to bring my painting apron with pockets. I plan to put a rag and some wet wipes in my packets.

I loved, loved having a small palette knife for adding think paint to my lights. (It may be a good idea to bring some of those wet canvas carrier clips)

I was able to hang my mineral spirits and a trash bag to the hooks on my portable easel. I am going to throw some small plastic grocery bags in my suitcase.

Try different canvases to see what you like best. I did not like the cheap cotton pad I used last week. I think I am going to cut some squares of linen in various sizes.

I am really happy with the way the Alkyd Quick Dry White is drying to the touch in just a few hours. I would get some if you don't have any.

Hope that helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment